Our History
The Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the Upper Part of Kakeath was founded in 1774 on land donated by Teunis Cuyper. Kakiat, as it became to be known as, was eventually dropped and is now known as The Reformed Church of West New Hempstead, or, lovingly, The Brick Church.
The congregation first met on September 28, 1774, twenty -three days after the opening of the First Continental Congress. The original church building, constructed of mortar and stone in a traditional Dutch style, was completed in 1778 on what is now Brick Church Road. Although the original intent was to construct a brick church, this structure stood until Thanksgiving Day in 1856, when it was demolished. Construction of the current brick building began soon after using locally produced bricks and was completed in January 1858. Local tradition holds that one wall of the original church remains and now forms the rear wall of the sanctuary.
Since its founding, the Brick church has been served by twenty-four pastors, beginning with its first minister, David Marinus (1774-1788). The current pastor, Rev. Thomas E. Johnston, has served the congregation since 1993.
The church cemetery, originally known as the Dutch Church Cemetery, was established by 1786. Spanning 35 acres, it is the final resting place of veterans from every conflict in which the United States has participated, from the Revolutionary War through Afghanistan, including those connected to the events of September 11, 2001. Among those interred is Daniel Carter Beard, founder of the Boys Scouts of America.
In September 2024, the church commemorated its 250th anniversary with a two-day celebration featuring worship services, music, community and religious leaders, historical memorabilia, and fellowship.
